Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Honey Brined Roasted Chicken

Wow. I will definitely be making this again and again. Maybe even once a week. So juicy, delicious and simple! People, I give you the Honey Brined Roasted Chicken!


I was following a recipe that I found on the internet but it was wrong. The cooking time was wrong and so was the time for brining the chicken. I was lucky to have gotten it good the first time and here is how I did it.

Ingredients:
  • Any size chicken ranging from 3 - 6 pounds
  • 1/2 Cup Honey
  • 1/2 Kosher Salt
  • 4 Cups Cold Water
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic Sliced or Crushed
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
Combine the water, salt and honey together in a large bowl or bucket until all is equally dissolved. Then add the bird, cloves, and bay leaves. Fill a ziploc bag full of cold water and place on top to fully submerge the bird. Place in the fridge for 12 - 24 hours.

Preheat the oven for 375 degrees. Remove the bird from the brine and place on a baking sheet (one with high walls for the juices). Drizzle the oil onto the bird and rub it good. Place the bird on the middle rack in the oven. Let cook for 50 minutes then cover with tinfoil for the remainder 1 hour and 10 minutes. ALWAYS double check the temperature of chicken. It should register 165 degrees.

Remove the chicken from the oven and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before carving (While it is resting, find out what you can do with the drippings leftover in the pan).

I had eaten a leg and a thigh before I could get it to the plate. I just ended up plating the bones. Yum!

(I just found out how much this meal cost and I was shocked!)

Whole Chicken - $5.15
1/2 Cup Honey - $1.50
Salt/Cloves - $0.20
Bay Leaves - $0.10
Olive Oil - $0.20
Total - $7.15
Serving Size = 6
Total per serving = $1.20

No comments:

Post a Comment